Who can file a claim?

Anyone other than an employee of the Department of Treasury, or someone acting within the scope of his or her duties as an employee of any Federal, State, or local Government can be eligible for an award under section 7623.  However, attorneys and accountants who wish to file claims with the IRS based on information they obtained while representing clients should consult their attorney to determine if doing so would violate their rules of professional responsibility.